This is a darn simple yet creative twist on a regular marinara sauce that beautifully compliments meatballs. I make this when I’m bored of making a regular red pasta sauce.
You’ll notice that there are no fancy ingredients or much culinary skills involved in this one, but wait until you taste this sauce before you make a judgement!
Mushroom Marinara Sauce Recipe
- 5 medium sized tomatoes cut into medium sized pieces
- 100g of button mushrooms
- 1 onion cut into quarters (cubed)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper powdered
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- A dash of Red wine - sweeter Port preferred
- In a non stick skillet, heat olive oil and add the garlic cloves.
- Additionally, one could add chilli flakes if you like the sauce spicier.
- Once it’s turned slightly brown, add cubed onions and saute on med flame for a min and lower it. Add mushrooms and saute till they size down.
- Add pepper and oregano as your saute.
- Add tomatoes and cook until they are tender.
- Remove from flame and wait for it to cool.
- Add a swig of red wine & the contents from the skillet to a blender
- Blend for half a min at Hi speed until the sauce is creamy smooth.
- Pour over your cooked meatballs and serve with spaghetti!