YES! This recipe will not do any more $5 of damage to your wallet..
Who doesn’t love good pub grub that goes with beer! You know thick beefy wedges, crunchy chips and the likes? I fancy it even more if this can pass for finger food but healthily replace a full meal. For that reason,
I absolutely love cheesy nachos!
Yes, I know they don’t exactly qualify as traditional pub food except maybe at a Mexican Restaurant! But man, when prepared right, these can any day replace fries (unless of course fries are topped with chilli, in which case we have a tie!)
And occasionally there are times when a bowl of nachos just cannot be enough! That devilishly uncontrollable urge to order another round! At this point it becomes unreasonably expensive too; you know they aren’t cheap as chips, right?!
Especially in the case of nachos, if you are not watching, it’s easy to consume a ton of calories all the while being cast under its tasty spell!
Neither can you stop yourself from having more nor do you wanna shell out another $15, for you know its pure indulgent flavors that’s making you crave it!
So to put an end to all this misery I set out to recreate a simple homemade healthier version with store bought corn chips, homemade tex-mex salsa, black beans and loads of (light) tasty cheese, all for under $5!
And thus originated this Cheesy Veggie Nachos recipe! And boy, wasn’t I pleased as hell! Oh and please note I said healthier, not healthy, for its after all Nachos baby!
- 1 400g can of red kidney beans/ black beans (healthier choice)
- 1 bag of Baked Corn Chips (approx. 170g)
- Light Tasty Cheese (shredded) - generous enough to cover chips & beans beneath
- 200g, diced tomato (1/2 can)
- 1 med sized onion, diced into small cubes
- 1 jalapeño, diced with seeds in
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (use smoked paprika for a tex-mex twist - AWESOME)
- a small handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- For the Salsa
- Heat olive oil in a flat pan
- Once its HOT, add in cumin powder and cayenne pepper and let is sizzle for approx. 10 secs
- Add the onions and cook until translucent
- Add in the jalapeño & tomatoes
- Keep stirring and cook until the sauce thickens, stir and keep aside
- Spray some oil on a medium depth bake tray and line the corn chips; don't use all the chips just yet
- Spoon over some of the salsa as the next layer
- Use the baked beans to form the third layer
- Sprinkle chopped coriander over the beans as garnish
- Top it off with the rest of the corn chips
- Add the tasty cheese generously all over to form the top layer
- Bake at 180 deg C approx. for 25-30 mins or until the cheese melts and turn golden brown on the top!
Here is a price break-down of how much it will cost you to make this at home,
Chips $2; Tomatoes $0.40; Onion $0.20; Tasty Cheese $0.80; Red Kidney Beans $0.75 / Black beans $1; Spices <$1; All up ~ $5!
**Aldi & Coles Supermarket home brand prices! If you’re reading this overseas, prices may even be lower!
- In this recipe I used both Red Kidney beans and Black Beans to give it a healthier kick and even got rid of the sour cream in an attempt to further cut back on the calories.
- While I still found this recipe delicious, you can always use some low fat greek yogurt as a replacement for the sour cream, if you absolutely must! But I really think it is unnecessary.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did and I look forward to your comments!